Home Forum Ask A Member Mcculloch 4hp no start Re: Mcculloch 4hp no start

joesnuffy
Participant

The guys here know where to get rings if it turns out you need them.

I hate to keep harping on the exhaust being restricted but if everything else checks out to be o.k. it may need to be re-visited.

I am guessing the motor also has an impeller to pump water to cool the exhaust. The impeller is in the 3rd picture it also helps to silence the exhaust adding the water to exhaust. Its the black rubber part in picture.

MY QUESTION Could you tell me or show me a picture of what part bolts to the exhaust port in this 1st picture. Have you tried starting the motor briefly using starting fluid with that part off the motor?? That exhaust muffler part would take the bulk of the carbon build up since its the first place the exhaust goes. I have a 2 stroke yamaha golf cart it has a huge muffler they also become clogged and the fix without buying a new one is to build a fire then hang the muffler right above the hot coals and let the oil and carbon melt and run out of the muffler.

If the exhaust is restricted then the engine can’t draw fuels in because it can’t push air out if that makes since. I am guessing that the part that bolts to the exhaust port here is not water cooled its the first place the exhaust goes and is vulnerable to carbon build up then the water is added thus surrounding it in the second picture to help keep it cool and reduce sound.

Joe

Attachments: