Re: 1959 10 HP Evinrude Sportwin

Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 10 HP Evinrude Sportwin Re: 1959 10 HP Evinrude Sportwin

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 1702
Topics: 34

With regards to wristpins, technically I have 4 of these. I have a 1959 Johnson QD-20 that has a Golden Jubilee Sportwin Powerhead on it and its another very good runner. I also just sold yet another 1959 QD-20 to a friend of mine that also runs very well and didn’t exhibit any issues with wristpins. That’s (5) 1959 OMC 10s that I have or have had so far and none of those had any problems. On the other hand, I have had (2) 1961 QD-22s (sold one) and neither of those had any real issues, but both are noisier motors than the 59s and do not seem to have quite the grunt. I really have no idea why. With the full needle bearing powerhead, I would have thought they would be just as strong or a little better. Maybe I just have not had the best luck with the 61s. 😕 I do have a 1958 QD-19 that I have not gone thru yet. It seems to have some slop in it. We’ll see how that one acts once its running. It may end up needing an overhaul. I’ve had pretty good luck with the 10s overall and I have quite a few of them from different years from 1949 to 1961. Either the failure rate isn’t that bad or my luck has just been really good (which would go against my luck with most things). 🙄
-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube