A Neptune has risen from the weeds to live again.

Home Forum Ask A Member A Neptune has risen from the weeds to live again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

• cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Recently I got a JW10 and CD12 for $100. The owner stated I had to take the Neptune and the 1959 Elgin 2hp to seal the deal. He had been having the motors since he was a young teenager. The motor belong to his grandfather and father. Over the years he has taking them along to where ever he moved. He just didn’t want to let them go. Recently has said that he realized that he was doing the motors a unkindness, because he has not run them in greater than 25yrs. They looked like they have been outside and in tangle of bushes for years. They have dry vines in very unusual places.

The motor that I am looking at right now is 1948 to 1951 Neptune 1.7hp model A1. It was not stuck but it has been neglected.

Compression 95psi
    Now have great spark after cleaning and servicing the ignition system.
    Carburetor is now clean after removing tons of mud dauber nest.
    New float using a modified Mercury float. (Works great)

quote :

Problem: It will only start and run out of the barrel

– High speed set at 3/4 turn out and slow/idle needle at 3/4 turns out.
    – Using 16:1 fuel oil ratio
    – cleaned the carburetor and all the lines. Good flow through the fuel line.
    – the reeds valves had some rust on them, so I gently cleaned them with a soft brush and dremel. ( I may need new reeds)
    – There is no rust inside the crankcase or inside the cylinder.
    – I have not removed the power head to assess the exhaust leg to see if it is partially obstructed.

I am thinking either the reeds are damaged or the there is some type of obstruction on the exhaust side preventing good flow through the crankcase. It easily starts and runs on the stand out of the water, but once it is in the water it will not start. I think water pressure is creating enough resistance to prevent starting and running.

I am wondering if you gentleman think I am on the right path?

Oh, here are some pictures.

pappy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 616
    Topics: 37

Yep. Exhaust back pressure from static water level can definitely have the effect you are experiencing and you are possibly on the right track.
    Something you have not mentioned however is piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance.
    You can have great top compression (compression above the rings) and not have enough crankcase compression to run the engine in the water.
    Check what you have mentioned but keep this in the back of your mind if you find the others are okay.
    Tapered cylinders, worn piston skirt, previous mud dauber damage, etc.

PS….I can’t believe you took on that project! Good on you I guess??

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Wow!! The fact that little motor even runs, is a miracle in itself. I would check the exhaust side and make sure everything is clear. A new set of reeds would’t hurt either.

r-delawter

Replies: 71
    Topics: 9

Yes sir, you have to be commended for bringing that motor back to life….It would be nice to see before and after pictures.

cajuncook1

Pappy, I felt sorry for the little guy, so I want to see if I could rehab him. 😀

cajuncook1

Well, check the exhaust side and the exhaust tube and all was clear. So, I think it is prudent to change the reeds and gaskets. Hopefully Doug Penn will have some.

If the reeds don’t pan out, I will open the head and measure the bores and pistons to see if Pappy’s suggestion regarding the piston skirts are the issue.

Cheers,

David T.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

This looks good on you Cajun! And here I thought I was the only guy who took on these kinds of projects! 😀

cajuncook1

quote Mumbles:

This looks good on you Cajun! And here I thought I was the only guy who took on these kinds of projects! 😀

You are my idol Jim!!! I can’t help but admire your work!! You give me something to strive for!! Cheers to you buddy!! 😎

Cajun

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Well, I’ve taken some fun ones myself.
    ever see the before and after pics of my CL-90? 😈

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 906
    Topics: 92

Great job… the "Lazarus Motor" … On these small motors, as was mentioned, the crankcase compression is critical to getting them running, especially starting and idle. If the crank bearings are warn badly that effects crank compression…. check em’. Also try heavier oil, like 40W non-detergent like the old school stuff.
    Joe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.