Re: stinger model numbers

Home Forum Ask A Member stinger model numbers Re: stinger model numbers

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 961
Topics: 78

Yes there is a way, but the model number you have is an Evinrude! 1976 70hp 20" model. Nothing Stinger about it. (Evinrudes were called Hustlers, but this is not one of those either). Until 1980 Johnsons had the year included in the model number plainly. Ex: J70EL76C = Johnson 70hp Electric start long shaft (20") ’76 C production run (early or late run usually). Evinrude would use their numbers all together 70673C. Sometimes a little harder to decifer. Depends on what you are use to. I am sure everyone has seen this, but repeating doesn’t hurt. After 1980 OMC went to a code. The word INTRODUCES is used as a 10 letter word with no repeating letters. I starts as 1 to S as 0. Ex: year model CS is 1980. CI is 1981. SS is 2000. Just keeps repeating. BRP changed this in 2012 I believe to a random numbering system.
J70TLEOS = Johnson 70hp TNT long (20") 1995 S production code.
The other designations can be found in the front of a service manual. Other odd symbols turn up: 4 = 4 stroke, commercial unit, military, STL, GL, VJ, VE (boat company rigged models).It can go on forever. Just a few off the top of my head I remember.

If you are still with me your Johnson Stinger in 1979 would have been model J75ER79R. The short shaft (15") would never carry an (L) in the model number. Use MarineEngine.com to figure out Evinrudes or check Johnsons. There was a 20" version of the Stinger & Hustler motors.

Dan in TN