Home Forum Ask A Member zephyr question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

So I finally was able to get my 4378 zephyr (early ’46 model) to run for a while the other day. After running it for a while I began to notice some problems. First it was flooding out at low speeds no matter what I would do with the mixture adjustments. I am assuming something got sucked through that is making the float stick open so I will have to take that back apart. I noticed though that the gas cap has a hairline crack in it which was allowing a small amount of fuel to leak out of it. My question comes with this wondering how the internally vented tank works. I am assuming that it has to be a completely air/fuel tight tank in order to create a vacuum when the vent is closed via the carb so with the gas cap being cracked I am not getting it to seal up tight. Would that crack be the cause of my engine leaking fuel even when the carb is in the off position? I would think that I have a combination of that with the float sticking but wanted to check.

On a positive note it did run! 😮 This little guy has given me some fits so it was sure nice to here it sing for the first time in who knows how long. These little four bangers sure do have a unique sound especially at idle. I rebuilt the lower unit just before running it and it was pumping water really well! I will need a new prop shaft seal because there was fishing line wrapped around it which ate away at the seal a bit so I got some grease to leak past it while running it. Anyone know where I can find one of these? I will attach a video of it running in the tank but note that I did not have the prop on it so that I didn’t blow out all of the water and the exhaust tube was soaking to try to get the carbon build up out of it so she was a little loud. Thank you to all that have helped me get this far with this little motor and for all the help that I continue to get from this site. 😀

2fast4me
      Participant

There is a small copper line on the inside of the filler neck on my 2 zephyrs or my 3 lightfours (if memory serves) they route back through the inside of the tank to the shutoff valve and then to the carb. That is the venting system. All of my Evinrudes have that line plugged with crud.
        If you can get another cap with a vent screw you will be much happier mariner.

2Fast4Me

Tom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If the vent line is plugged, you’ll need a vented cap, as noted by 2Fast4Me, or clean the line, fittings, and the valve on the carburetor. A cracked cap will leak gas, but should not interfere with operation of the motor.

It sounds like your motor is getting too much fuel. An issue with these carbs is the hat shaped fitting that goes on top of the float pin. These are often installed upside down, with the wide part on the bottom, and the small part on top. That is actually upside down. Installing it that way may interfere with the action of the float valve at the bottom of the pin.

Does your carb have the primer on it? If so, the seal is probably shot and may be leaking fuel past it. If you want to rebuild it, instructions are on the site. Modification is best done with a lathe and you’ll need to buy the new seal. Or email me and I can probably help you out.

Tom Manley
          manleyt at verizon.net

wyo307
          Participant

No there is not a primer on this motor. I will have to look at the fitting that is on top of the carb I don’t remember which way that I put it in. I can always use the metal gas cap off of my sportwin since it has a vent screw. I doubt I will ever be running both of these motors at the same time. The small copper tube is clean and free of blockages so it should be working as intended I was just curious about the cap leaking interfering with it. Thanks for the help I will just pull the carb again and see what the issue is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.