Home Forum Ask A Member Anybody recognize this tin boat?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I got it without any paperwork and the data plate is gone.

Pics at this post:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/general- … minum-boat

mr-asa
      Participant

The way that stern plate is manufactured and that upward tilt at the nose should make it real easy to ID if anyone knows it. Real interesting shape.

auldscott
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m guessing Sears, Roebuck – manufacturer unknown.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That transom brace makes me think it’s a Meyers, but I have never seen a Meyers brace that didn’t have a number of lager holes punched our of them. Never seen a solid one on a Meyers boat so I’m not too sure about it.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

weedlessdrive
            Participant

Looks like Sears to me.

amuller
              Participant

Thanks. Consensus here and elsewhere seems to be "Sears," possibly including Elgin and/or Sea Nymph. The wt and dimensions correspond pretty well to Sears "semi-vee" boats from the 50s, 60s, 70s. Noticeable is the apparent absence of a drain plug in original form and that the spray rails begin several feet back from the bow.

A key limitation of all these is the load rating of 500 pounds or less. Not enough for two adults, a motor, tank of gas, and some gear.

Alan

outboard315
                Participant

I’m leaning towards a Grumman or crestliner.

necks
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It looks to me like a Hercules boat, sold by G.C.Murphy back in the late 60’s-70’s, out of business now. I purchased a 14′ boat, 3 seat boat just like the one pictured,lightweight enough to cartop without trailer. Not built as good as a Alumacraft, but half the price. Rated about 12hp, went like the wind. Somebody built the boat, don’t know who.

mini-motors
                    Participant

Looks a lot like my ’61 Elgin, sold by Sears. Mine doesn’t have the carry handle at the bow, but the transom and the seats look identical.

The Boat House
                      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.