1937 Sportwin coil winding

Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Sportwin coil winding

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• fullthrottle

Replies: 2
    Topics: 2

Wondering if anyone knows if it matters which direction you wind the secondary winding. I have 3500 ohms for each plug and it had good spark and ran good for 5 minutes, stopped it because port cylinder was getting a little to warm. I let it cool down and tried to restart it and had no spark. Coil still tested at 3500 ohms. I put a condenser in that came out of a Pal and i had spark agian, ran it about 2 minutes and shut it off. I tried to start and had no spark.
    Its like its draining the condenser. I did send the flywheel to a magneto guy that recharged magnets, and when i got it back magnets where strong changed polarity. The magnet closest to keyway was north now it is the south pole.
    Of course it is opposed firing not alternet.

Thanks Tim

The Boat House

Replies: 4558
    Topics: 111

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by The Boat House.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.

2fast4me

Replies: 276
    Topics: 21

Changing the polarity of the magnets on the flywheel will make the electrons flow on the sparkplug either from tip to ground or from ground to tip, gas well burn either way. In theory the condenser is drained every time the points close.

2Fast4Me

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

What happens if you let it run? Does it stop on its own? How much of a gap can the spark jump? I tend to agree it sounds like a heat issue–coil going south when it warms up. Can you check it for continuity and grounding when warm?

fullthrottle

Thanks guys i didnt know for sure about magnets, But the other thing is, i rewound the secondary coils. 4000 feet of .0039 wire for each plug producing 3500 omhs each, so i am wondering if i could have wound them the wrong direction?

Thanks, Tim

fullthrottle

I did put that condenser back in the Pal and it fired right up, and it wouldnt in the sportwin, so it somthing with my coil. Possibly where i soldered secondary ground to primary ground.

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163
    quote fullthrottle:

Thanks guys i didnt know for sure about magnets, But the other thing is, i rewound the secondary coils. 4000 feet of .0039 wire for each plug producing 3500 omhs each, so i am wondering if i could have wound them the wrong direction?

Thanks, Tim

That’s rather heroic. 38 ga wire? These aren’t like an Onan coil, with each plug connected to the end of a single coil?

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

You should have one coil both plugs. Each end of secondary to each plug, no connection to ground.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.