Home Forum Ask A Member RDE-19 Compression numbers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Had a customer bring one of these in, and truth be told, I have yet to work on one of these old beauties. Was just wondering what reasonable compression numbers are since this has the pressure relief valves on the cylinder head?

I had 45/50 T/B hand cranking, and the motor has been sitting for at least 2-3 years unused. The rest of it is checking out for the usual repairs but I have the A-OK to fix the motor as needed to turn it back into a daily driver for a vintage boat piece.

Even at 45/50, this thing is a bear to pull over and cranking speed was pretty slow despite my ‘strongest’ efforts to do it manually!

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m pretty sure that engine has a compression relief, so you will want to crank it electrically to get true compression readings.

Mumbles
        Participant

I was getting 140 – 146ish on the ’56 RDE 18. Plugs out with leads grounded and spinning it with the electric starter.

Attachments:

johnyrude200
          Participant

Ill have to hook up the electric starter. It has the pressure relief valves on this one.

chris-p
            Participant

They are a bear to get a good compression test on, especially on a stand. On an electric start, the starter is necessary to get an accurate reading. If the 50 psi is true, WAY too low for a Big Twin. Between 95 and 140 is what I typically find. 105 to 120 is the average.

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have checked literally dozens of them and own about 10. I have never had one over 125. Maybe my guage is a bit off. It does have a hose that’s about a foot long.
                Scott B

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.