1.25 hp Elgin upper bearing replacement

Home Forum Ask A Member 1.25 hp Elgin upper bearing replacement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• auldscott

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 175
    Topics: 42

I was recently given an early model Elgin 1.25. It is complete and has compression, but the top main bearing (Hyatt roller bearing) shows visible play. The seal has also failed and the points are oiled. The crankshaft, partly visible through the lower rod cap, looks OK. I have not checked the piston for scoring.

Although the bearing is still available, the Elgin parts list does not show the bearing as being separate from the upper crankcase assembly.

1. Does anyone have experience with replacing this bearing and seal on a 1.25?

2. Would I be better off parting out the motor?

Thanks!

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

1. Don’t know the answer

2.. part it out?? Lord help. Those motors are in demand.

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

Please try to repair. The best way to replace is first measure where it is placed. Remember every motor has end play in the crankshaft! Next remove the crankshaft, then heat the case a little & it should almost fall out. It’s easy when done right. Don’t part it out. If no interest sell it so someone else may repair it.
    FRANK: Don’t we all need the Lord’s help? I mess up every time I try to do it my way!!
    Jeff

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Yeah, those are fantastic little motors. Probably the smoothest, most quiet, air cooled engine I have ever seen. I would hate to be the one to "pull the plug" on one, by parting it out. It has survived to this point. Who are we to decide that it dies now? I would at least take it all the way down and see what you’ve got inside. It’s a tiny little motor. It wouldn’t take long to check it out.

Long live American manufacturing!

auldscott

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 175
    Topics: 42

Good replies all. Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll find a way to get it back on the water.

I have another that is a nice runner. Smooth and quiet, and it will idle down to a tickover.

leeinnh

Replies: 27
    Topics: 4

ok. i have this same problem. i dismantled the crankcase, heated it to 400 degrees , and the casing just won’t budge.

is there a tool for this ? I can’t find anything that will grab the casing . it is a tight spot.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I never had mine taken down that far. No need to. Can you post a pic? Can you drive it up from the bottom by using a socket and extension through the lower crank bearing hole? Would a blind-hole bearing puller work? Snap-On has different sizes…..

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.