Gale 35 hp info needed

Home Forum Ask A Member Gale 35 hp info needed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• ronboonville

Replies: 83
    Topics: 56

I think I’ve been using the wrong spark plugs and fuel ratio. I use j6c plugs and 16:1 mix. The motor surges at high speed. any advice or experience with this motor would be helpful, thanks.

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19

It’s not the plugs or the oil. 24 to one. You’ve got the right plug. Surging at high speed could mean you are running a bit lean on the high speed setting.

Opinions may vary.

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Ron, it does sound like you are running lean somewhere… I’m sure you have been through the carb? The next question, what kind of fuel line and quick disconnect fittings are you using? If not a good OMC brand, or if they are aftermarket, change them out. I haven’t found a good usable aftermarket fuel connector for OMC. The only one’s that work for me are from the dealer. Any boats that come into my shop with aftermarket connectors get changed out before I do anything else! I’ve just had to much trouble with them. The other item to think about is the fuel pump. The fuel pump on your Gale is the big one and is very reliable…. but maybe it’s time for a diaphragm kit? Let me know if you need one. Hope this helps!

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Pull the fuel filter and try. If the surging has stopped, replace the filter.

jerry-ahrens

Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Ron, I have also used B6S NGK plugs in my Gale Sovereign. They work well.

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

I’m wondering exactly what you mean by "Surge"? If you mean the motor all of a sudden revs higher, is it pushing the boat faster? If not, the propeller may be slipping on it’s rubber-mounted hub? When the RPMs "surge" faster, is it still pushing the boat?….or just revving higher while the boat slows down? If it’s actually pushing the boat faster when it surges, then, I’d check all the stuff others have mentioned. Another thought – maybe you have one cylinder dead until you get to higher speeds and then it kicks in and out? If so, look for something intermittent in the ignition.

Dave

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

Could the prop hub be slipping?
    Just a thought.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.