Re: 1925 Rowboat Motor Starting Problems

Home Forum Ask A Member 1925 Rowboat Motor Starting Problems Re: 1925 Rowboat Motor Starting Problems

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
Replies: 516
Topics: 44

I’ll suggest that you look at the clearance on your top main crankshaft bearing if you are getting backfires or only sporadic brief runs out of it. Also, my experience has been that with the coarse thread on those fuel needle valves, even 3/4 of a turn might be too rich. And the coarse thread also makes them very touchy with a narrow band of where it runs the best. I’d suggest no more than 1/2 to 5/8th’s of a turn, and yeah 1/8th of a turn can make the difference in that motor.

If the crankshaft exhibits any amount of side-play between the crank and bearing – your only answer is to re-bush the crankcase. Fortunately, your motor is of the three-piece crankcase design; you can usually get away with re-bushing the upper journal, and don’t have to tear apart the entire motor to do it either.

Poppet valve needle should be about one turn out from closed.

Pay attention to what Tom Manley said about the poppet valve and seat. You can lap the valve and seat with a lapping compound made up from a mixture of toothpaste and Comet cleanser.

Hope this helps. If it doesn’t – sorry, but I’m kinda useless for anything else.

Best,
PM T2