Re: problems with the 1957 35 hp johnson

Home Forum Ask A Member problems with the 1957 35 hp johnson Re: problems with the 1957 35 hp johnson

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 968
Topics: 259

I think following Jerry’s protocol will pay dividends. I have reviewed all of these posts and cannot find if or when you have reported water pumping out of the exhaust? Is it? If this thing isn’t pumping water, you can go through every other component group of the motor and this same scenario will occur every time; until the motor is completely dead of course.

Start with the list Jerry has compiled for you. These things are a ton of fun to work on. Yes, they can be frustrating (as you are discovering), but most areas are pretty elementary to work on.

$2800 is an unbelievable amount to spend on this motor. I have 4 of these very motors (all runners) and have never paid more than $250 for one. You could get that motor darn near 100% restored for that kind of money.

Maybe find another (a proven runner) and have some fun while you coax this one back to life. I have a 1959 evinrude 35 hp (essentially the same motor with different cosmetics) I would sell you for 1/10th of that price. If you are anywhere near Wisconsin, let me know. You can test drive it for the whole summer while you get yours going.

Hang in there!

Scott