Home Forum Ask A Member Tell-tail location Re: Tell-tail location

Mumbles
Participant

Apparently, OMC had sent a bulletin out instructing their techs to relocate the telltale fitting to the top of the blocks from the side of the exhaust area as the side location would still allow water to squirt out of the telltale even if the water jacket was half full from a weak pump. Moving it to the top of the block also bled any air out of the system ensuring the top cylinder was being cooled.

I learned the hard way (as in expensive) how important this was years ago on a 70 horse Johnson and now I move them on any two or three cylinder motor I work on with the old side location takeoff for the telltale. Removing the cylinder head makes it easier to see just where to drill for the fitting as the water passage can be tight around the cylinder. Tapping just enough thread to hold the fitting will prevent it from bottoming out on the cylinder, which will cut off the water flow to the telltale.

The lifting eye only mounts one way with the flywheel on so clearance for it has to be taken into consideration to.