Re: Asbestos

Home Forum Ask A Member Asbestos Re: Asbestos

chris-p

Replies: 2456
Topics: 153
quote Roalco:

I had an interesting discussion with my new doctor, a few years ago. She is Eastern European and they have had extensive use of asbestos in manufacturing there for many decades now. Apparently they have found that inhaled asbestos (workplace issues), like most inhaled workplace solids (grinding dust, welding particulates, etc) is almost always, only a future health risk when you have compromised lung health, such as asthma, or are a smoker. She stressed that smoking is almost always the trigger for asbestosis.
That said, proper work habits when dealing with asbestos, greatly reduces any health risk.

Sort of true, but not totally.

One of the fields my company specializes in is Asbestos Abatement. I am a certified Level 3 Remover and Supervisor.

Coming from someone that has seen friends, family, and co workers die from Asbestos related disease, I can assure you that they were not all smokers. Being a smoker does increase your chances of being affected however.

As stated, never, ever, remove it while dry. Always keep it wet. Put a poly drop sheet under your work area. Do it outdoors, never inside your house. Put on a set of disposable coveralls, gloves, and a mask with a P100 filter. An N95 dust mask will not do anything for you, the asbestos fibres are too small and will pass right through a dust mask. Use wet towels to wipe off your coveralls, mask, etc… then dispose of them once you are done and have removed the gasket. Wet the poly drop sheet, roll it up, and dispose of that as well. Seal up the bag, then you can take off your mask. If you use a vacuum, it must be a HEPA vac.

Protect yourself and your family. Yes, asbestos related diseases do not show up for many years, but do you really want your kids and grandkids that come over to get Mesothelioma in 20 years?

We have buried the wives of our workers that simply washed their husbands coveralls. They didn’t even perform the work!