Re: Testing timing of Red Atom Modules

Home Forum Ask A Member Testing timing of Red Atom Modules Re: Testing timing of Red Atom Modules

Pete

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 154
Topics: 6
quote joesnuffy:

I have the 2SD1071s and the correct diode 1N6303s in my 1965 33hp with tiller steering I picked up last season. I have to put a new impeller in it and check to make sure carb is clean but I fired it up yesterday 2 times and rev’d it up a bit modules stayed alive and it sounded good. It has the original purple colored OMC coils in it and I thought it would be a good candidate to test these particular modules in since it has its original coils and it is a low hour even the magneto area was clean as a whistle.

What I do like about these coils is everything wires up as normal the way I am building my modules so I don’t have to reverse the small wires to the coil by extending the ground small wire a bit so it can go to the screw on points where the positive wire normally goes I then ground it but the purple coils don’t require that see pic. The brown and green wire are wrapped together and soldered to the other side of the diode opposite of the grounded side and go to leg E of 2SD1071

I am going to refrain from using silicone on this modules so I can inspect them after like 20 hours of run time.

Joe

When you timed it with a strobe did you do it with a drill or engine running ❓ When I tested the Nova II’s in a Japanese yamato Y80 I did it with a drill at 400 revs, timing was steady. Then checked it with an inductive light and found the timing would increase a lot with revs until about 4000. The Nova II’s are just the simple ones based on a certain build up to trigger the spark no internal timing curve design. I believe it might be related to the primary, secondary coil design and flywheel magnet arrangement ❓ Did you notice any strange timing changes when you timed it assuming it was running to do different rpm’s ❓

I had the Nova’s mounted outside the mag.