Re: Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul?

Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul? Re: Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul?

shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
Topics: 53

You guys are the greatest. Thanks again. Glad to know the carb leaking is normal. I was scratching my head at it, wondering how on earth I was going to get at them. I think I’m going to have to address this wiring sooner than later. It was acting up on me last night. It was a fight to get it going several times. I would’ve chalked it up as not knowing it’s idiosyncrasies yet, but it was bogging hard and dying when I was trying to get it out of the hole.

So, in the search for a service manual. Also need to read up on the ignition systems on these things. This high-voltage thing concerns me. I don’t want to put my fingers anywhere near until I know what I’m doing.

And on that note, if the battery is disconnected will all the high-voltage be discharged? I’ve heard of people dying because of capacitors discharging while they’re working on old amplifiers or welders etc. I don’t see anything looks like a capacitor however I don’t know what’s in the switchbox