Re: 1983 25hp evinrude qwirks ???

Home Forum Ask A Member 1983 25hp evinrude qwirks ??? Re: 1983 25hp evinrude qwirks ???

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 4737
Topics: 46

Yes, the primer complaints apply to all the engines…Most of the OMCs are/were cold blooded, so it takes a lot of tickling to get the thing warmed up…Unfortunately, most owners just raise the warm up lever and let the thing scream in an effort to warm up…The electric choke does seem a whole lot easier for owners to understand and use for sure…Maybe the electric primer was a "cost savings".
The pressure relief thermostat system works pretty well, but dirt/debris can get caught under the thermostat resulting in a cool running engine at lower speeds. And lord knows, you sure don’t want to have to do this job on the 32CI engines where the whole head cover has to be removed. In later years, even this got "over engineered" with all sorts of springs, cups and diaphragms.
Frank, your is a 1984 35hp, correct? I always liked the 1984 Johnson grey color and graphics, guess I am in the minority here….Always thought they ran better also! Yours had the simpler carb meant soley for these engines with just the one needle valve. In later years, in an effort to simplify parts usage, they started using the crazy carbs with the intermediate air bleeds and adjustable low speed needle (same style as the larger two/three cylinder models) on the 32CI engines.
And, like on the larger engines, if the recirc system isn’t working properly, I’m sure fuel/oil will puddle in the lower cylinder aggravating this condition…