Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member ‘62 5.5 evinrude Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

scottshea

Replies: 20
Topics: 2

Wow! Thanks everyone for the input. If I can answer most of the questions raised. Yes one set of points were replaced. I have checked the spark to ground on both cylinders. They were ok but I adjusted the coils better and got them a little whiter. I’m not sure I have the equipment to synchronize the cam with the carb? If I read that right. The compression was above 80 on a ratty old compression tester. Interestingly the water pump came up. Yes it was replaced. Which is why I went to the Allen bolts. They’re much easier to remove now than the original ones. I don’t recall seeing anything with springs in the lower unit when I had it off. I am assuming it’s simmilar to an pump coupling. They’re in the gear case? I haven’t opened that up yet. But I have flushed and replaced the lower unit oil. I’m not sure how many hours are on the motor it has sat dormant for almost 4 decades. When the motor bogs it really just Peters out like it’s flooding. No unusual shuddering so I don’t think it’s a misfire but it will almost always shut down even if I back off the throttle. Last but not least it does seem to be harder to pull start after she stalls. That is something I did notice but maybe ignored since it could easily be me feeling tired from pull starting the motor while I’m trying to get the tune right. I’m definitely going to give the fuel pump test a try. It’s brand new and shouldn’t be failing but at this point nothing can be taken for granted. Also if I do try and prime the motor while it’s running it does not seem to make a difference. I attempted to keep the fuel bowl full while trying to diagnose this and that didn’t seem to help. The motor does rev on the boat and in the water in neutral. The outboard mechanics who’ve been locally in business for at least 50 years are all out of ‘vintage’ grade techs. Sadly they’re a more rare breed. The young guys just don’t have the feel to tune things anymore. I really don’t think they looked at this motor too hard either. Here in the north east he was handed the motor just as the season was kicking off so honestly it probably has more to do with they can’t charge me too much to fix it since it has little value even if it is running. So sadly they don’t invest the time.