Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member ‘62 5.5 evinrude Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

scottshea

Replies: 20
Topics: 2

Thanks Gary for the schematic. Very helpful. Fleetwin I took it to Lindenhurst outboard. They’ve been a prominent shop here for a long time. I was able to get my parts there no issues and like I said I can understand why it may have not had much time invested on it. The lower gear oil was very old looking. It appeared to be separating which I’m not sure if that is a sign of water or not. A lot of time elapsed since it was changed. I did a mineral spirits flush on the lower gear case and then replaced it with fresh lower gear oil. I would assume if water was in the gear case it would have been a block of iron oxide by the time I got to it. Last time it got wet was hurricane sandy when it was in the garage on its stand. Again salt water let’s you know when it’s present where it’s not supposed to be rather quickly. At this stage I’m going to assume the lower gear case is tight. My guts saying I’m tearing that Pöwer head off again eventually. No big deal really. Since that gasket is new would I be able to reuse it? Or should I replace it?