Home Forum Ask A Member Sure ccould use some expert help on this ignition issue Re: Sure ccould use some expert help on this ignition issue

fleetwin
Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m worried about your wiring, looks like the mag plate is broken where the leads would normally pass through to the underside of the mag plate. I don’t see any obvious areas where the wiring is rubbed through, but the flywheel is bound to rub sooner or later.
    OK, you tried a different powerpack and got the same result.
    Again, I’m wondering how you set the air gap on the charge coil and sensor coil…There is a ring that is used to set the air gap properly, trying to set the sensor air gap without the ring is nearly impossible. And, you don’t want to take a chance on the flywheel hitting your new components and ruining them.
    While a weak flywheel magnet is always a possibility, it is rarely an issue on these engines. The "weaker" magnet might not be able to fire the sensor because the sensor is set too far away from the magnets. The only other issue that I can think of is a chafed/grounded lead on one of your new components. I would check for shorts to ground/mag plate, then check the resistance of the two components…
    The only real way to check your weak magnet theory is to try another flywheel…
    I would definitely replace the mag plate and use the original wire sheathing. Proper placement of mag plate wiring is extremely important, and will cause problems down the road….