Re: Identifying a ’80’s or newer Johnson 15HP

Home Forum Ask A Member Identifying a ’80’s or newer Johnson 15HP Re: Identifying a ’80’s or newer Johnson 15HP

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
Topics: 105

I am now the owner of this commercial motor. Seems the cowling decal design hints at a world production motor, having the different views of the Earth map globes on it?
Did anyone notice the transom clamp screw handles? Are those aftermarket ? I seem to recall seeing one of those metal handles somewhere. Could they be the Commercial version of the handle that are metal and stronger than the plastic handles of that era? That would make sense.

Going back to my original post of the serial #,it has a "G" in the first position of the sequence. I have a Canadian built ’89 9.9 that has a "C" in that first position.
So does the "G’ signify a certain country of origin? Or does it tell its is a Commercial motor? Too bad the ID tag is unreadable, other than a couple letters that may be part of the model #. i will have to study the remains of that tag after getting it in a better position to read it.

This motor intrigues me ,even in it’s rough shape. MIssing is the lower unit, but the 5" extension is there. Anyone know if the 15 Commercials had a tougher lower unit. I seem to recall that some motors when produced as commercial, had LU’s of a larger motor? Where the lower unit would bolt up to the 5" extension, the bolt pattern is the same as a "normal" 9.9/15 motors lower.

Fleetwin- i don’t intend to alter anything on this motor, keeping it original as produced. Not a big fan of the tiller kill switch/lanyard. But i have yet to be tossed overboard while underway.
Thanks for all of your comments. You have helped narrow down the year made, and that is indeed a Commercial motor.
Edited due to rambling 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
Robbie Robertson