Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Johnson Seahorse HD25 Gasket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I probably shouldn’t of done this but its too late now. I removed the carburetor to work on it and the gasket (pn 43-221 muffler to cylinder gasket) just disintegrated. So I need some advice from the experts. Is there anyone making these gaskets that I can buy or how can I make one myself. Any advice to solve this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Doug Penn may have that gasket. If not, how good are you with an Xacto knife? Most auto parts stores carry gasket material by the sheet or roll. It is just a mater of tracing the part on the material and then cutting around the lines.

legendre
        Participant

Hey Willy,

Very easy to make this gasket. get some 1/32" rubber-fiber gasket material, as is sold at O’Reilly Auto. Trace out, or tap out the new gasket using the carb mounting flange as a guide. I’ve made several of them this way, it only takes about ten minutes tops to finish one off.

thepetrolist
          Participant
            quote legendre:

Hey Willy,

Very easy to make this gasket. get some 1/32″ rubber-fiber gasket material, as is sold at O’Reilly Auto. Trace out, or tap out the new gasket using the carb mounting flange as a guide. I’ve made several of them this way, it only takes about ten minutes tops to finish one off.

+ 1

I recently made one for my 1951 HD-26. It only takes about ten minutes as Legendre said, and it does work like a charm. I know that making gaskets seems hard before you try, believe me, when I was younger I did everything to not have to make my own gaskets simply because I thought it was hard.. 😆
            And it is much simpler (and quicker!) to make your own gaskets than trying to find them for sale, especially if you got a somewhat unusual engne

Anonymous

Thanks for the info everyone. Doug Penn is actually sending me the gasket. If its not the right one, I will make one as all of you suggested. Thanks for your help everyone.

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

I have made these gaskets before, and they are a complex gasket. Beyond an Xacto knife you really need a punch set. I find it hard to believe that someone can actually make a properly fitting one in ten minutes. I’d like to see that!

Instead of making gaskets, I would much rather contact one of my vintage parts vendors from this club and buy a perfectly fitting NOS gasket at a very reasonable price. I’m talking $3.00 to $4.00 here, plus about $1.00 shipping.

Willy, you made a good decision to go through Doug Penn.

legendre
                Participant

We must be talking about different gaskets, as the one for the TD20 carb flange (same as HD25?) is roughly shaped like an isosceles triangle and has exactly three round holes. Has two 1/4" holes and one about 3/4" or so.

Measures about 2.5" across the base, and 1.25" or so in height.

aquasonic
                  Participant

US Member

OK, now I know why we have a difference of opinion here… The TD-20 has a separate carburetor gasket with the two studs that mount to the intake/exhaust manifold. The TD-20 gasket is a simple carb intake with two holes for the mounting studs. In shape it looks similar to 1950’s and later carburetor gaskets.

The HD-25, on the other hand, has a carburetor that is integral to the intake and exhaust manifold. Everything is in one piece, so the only gasket is the much more complex intake/exhaust manifold gasket with all of those radius’ and ports. Check out the gasket 43-221 that Willy referred to, and you will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ufxp2fhcurs … on%20Parts

legendre
                    Participant

Ok I see the issue. The gasket being discussed is more akin to #41-337 – the one that seals the TD20 manifold to the block. And yes, it’s quite a bit more complicated than the small carb gasket I was thinking about.

I’ve made a couple of those larger ones as well, and the time was more like 45 minutes using a combination of a scissors and the tapping method.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.