Home Forum Ask A Member 1950 2-1/2 hp Johnson leather carb float

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    canoecrafter
    Participant

My 2.5 hp Johnson Sea Horse had been running great on my canoe, but now needs a new float in the carb. The original one is leather and it only lasted 65 years.

Where can I get a new one, or can I make my own?

I’m also looking for the Johnson and Sea Horse decals for the motor head to put on after I strip and paint the motor. Any sources? Will paint and new decals harm the antique value?

Thanks!

ggoldy
      Participant

Could that be a painted cork float?

canoecrafter
        Participant

Gary,
          I’m not sure. Last year, I purchased the motor which had not been run in 20 years before that. When it quit, I had a great marine mechanic go thru it replacing all rubber hoses and other degradable parts which time might kill. He mentioned not being able to locate one leather item–I assumed it was the carb float. Are there other leather parts in the 2-1/2 hp from the early 1950s?

Also, where can I find the serial number of this motor? And once I know that, where can I find the year of the motor?

terriblecj
          Participant

The carb float is not leather. The primer pump seals are. You can make your own from a suitable piece of cork or you can order one that fits. They can still be had. The model and serial are stamped on the block. Should say HD-25 (the model) and then a serial. It is probably earlier than 1950.

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gary
              The numbers should be on a flat spot at the base of the power head, right where it
              connects to the leg.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

ggoldy
              Participant

Actually, it’s not mine, Steve. It’s Canoecrafter’s. But that’s ok 🙂
                Here is some info on cork floats and leather seals. http://pochefamily.org/outboard/CarbService.html
                It may not match what you have, but should give you an idea of what you’re looking at.
                Do you make your own canoes? Just curious.

Steve A W
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OOP’S 😳

Member of the MOB chapter.
                  I live in Northwest Indiana

canoecrafter
                  Participant

This is getting to be a confusing who’s-who. My name (Canoecrafter) is also Gary. The first answer to my post was from a Gary Goldy. Then Steve chimed in with the helpful information about the serial no. location, and the link to the carb servicing.

Anyway, I’ve had a few antique outboards several years ago years ago and was an AOMCI member then. Now I have this 2-1/2 hp Johnson Sea Horse (I think an HD-25) that a collector wants to buy and I’m trying to locate the serial no, model year, and a few hard-to-find parts so I can sell it to him in good running condition.

I’m digesting the Carb Servicing Manual that Gary Goldy posted, and realize I can do much of this myself, but I still might need some rubber or nonmetallic parts. Where might I find such parts? And where can I find charts of price ranges?

Gary P

aaronr21
                    Participant

I’ve got one for sale if you can’t find parts mine only has a bad spark plug wire and everything else is fine

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.