Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 RD-16 Armature Plate Adjustment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    texastinker
    Participant

Gents, this is my first post ever. I am baffled by the adjustment on my RD. I have some other older outboards, but they all have the easier arm advance instead the cables. When I try to set the roller to the mark on the cam there is only a small amount of throttle left and it is not enough to open the carb. Is there a procedure for this on this cable type plate? Did i put the cam back on wrong and made it to where I cant adjust it. Any Ideas?

david-bartlett
      Participant

The cable is asymetrical. Did you get the ends mixed up when you hooked it to the mag plate?

texastinker
        Participant

I will not say no, I will say I put it back the way it was before I rebuilt the mag. I put the cable with the spring toward the back of the mag. Is this correct?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I believe it is in the book. Check it out.
            http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … .html#/162

frankr
            Participant

US Member
              quote TexasTinker:

Gents, this is my first post ever. I am baffled by the adjustment on my RD. I have some other older outboards, but they all have the easier arm advance instead the cables. When I try to set the roller to the mark on the cam there is only a small amount of throttle left and it is not enough to open the carb. Is there a procedure for this on this cable type plate? Did i put the cam back on wrong and made it to where I cant adjust it. Any Ideas?

I really hate to suggest this, but do you have it in forward gear? Throttle is limited in neutral and reverse

texastinker
              Participant

I would have never thought about neutral. When I get home I will check and see if I feel dumb. Thanks for the info.

david-bartlett
                Participant

Frank probably nailed it.

This is what it should look like though.

texastinker
                  Participant

Well I do feel dumb. Stuck her in gear and she rotated around. I appreciate the help. I am sure that I will have several other questions about this motor as I go along. This is my first big twin and slightly more complicated than my smaller motors.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.