Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Lightwin quit running.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    20mercman
    Participant

US Member

I was at Tomahawk a few years ago, and saw a 58 Sportwin for cheap money. I asked what was up, and they said it died last year up here and they had to get towed in. Couldn’t get it to run no matter what they tried, he thought it may be the flywheel. I said, "Well, my tool box is right here. If we can’t fix it here, where else in the world can we?" We took the flywheel off and I discovered that the cam had slipped on the key. We put it back and they ran to the test tank. Vroooommmmm.!! The price just went up! We had burgers and brats and a great evening. Ran it the next day to the turtle bar.

Steve

tom-in-ri
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Or missing flywheel key?

The Boat House
        Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by The Boat House.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by The Boat House.
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good spark at both cylinders would rule out sheared key/flipped cam. You mention the fuel is fresh being used on other engines, is it regular grade fuel or high octane? I know it is counter intuitive (at least it is to my simple mind), but these low compression engines do not like to run on high octane fuel. I had to prove it to myself several times on my fleetwin when I thought I was being smart using high octane av gas.
            The engine won’t even fire when you squirt fuel in the plug holes? I’m sure you have explored the possibility that the problem is too much fuel/flooding. The only other longshot I could think of is the exhaust snoot is plugged up with mud, but this seems unlikely if the engine quit while underway. Do the plugs show any signs of water? Have you tried dry firing it for a second or two (not long enough to damage impeller)? I realize you don’t have a compression gage up there, and these things don’t have much compression anyway, but does it feel like it has compression? It surely couldn’t hurt to just try the head bolts to see it they will loosen up, nothing to lose. You could always use some gasket sealer on the old head gasket if it isn’t blown, I realize you don’t have an extra head gasket on hand. The job could be done right after vacation is over. You are SOL either way if the head gasket is blown, perhaps someone close by could send you a gasket up there.

The Boat House
            Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by The Boat House.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by The Boat House.
              The Boat House
              Participant

Hope the weather is nice tomorrow.

Don’t want to have to do it inside.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

COOL, glad it will be resolved and vacation saved!

Mumbles
                  Participant

Eezee fix Tubs!

If you are really out in the boonies and far away from civilization, you could always cut one out of a leather boot tongue!

Does that ‘little house’ in your pic have wi-fi as your internet connection seems to be working?

The Boat House
                    Participant

Wi-Fi only gets a signal from the left hole and the
                      view (and the air) is better from the right if you leave the door
                      open.

hugh
                      Participant

I have had head gasket leaks in that area on 3 or 4 lightwins. I now check the block for being true. I have heard others speak of that too. I am reassembling a JW17 at the moment that had low compression. This block and head was good and true. When it is finished ( and running) I am going to post al the things I found and tried on it. Even if they are not true, and new head gasket will work for a good while. Good Luck with it, they are great little outboards.

PS Nice cabin!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.