Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 Evinrude Lightwin – Speed Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    corythecowboy
    Participant

Hey folks,

I saw this ad and being a lifelong duck hunter, set out to find one

Once I found out that a Lightwin was the same thing (except with a decal set and paint job) I bought what I believe is a 1965 Evinrude Lightwin from a friend who just rebuilt it (Replaced the coils, new plugs, carb kit, new condensors, points, etc). It’s got character 😉

And it seems to suit my 12′ duck boat well

I took it out for a spin (empty boat, just me @260lbs in the stern) and at wide open I was getting 5 km/h (3 mph). I’ve played with the trim on it and got it up to about 6km/h. Then my Dad got in the boat with me and the speed didn’t change at all, at least it’s consistent 😉

I took it out yesterday and took a quick (but poor quality 🙄 ) video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-munUEkS4

To me, it sounds like it should "open up" a bit more? I watched a video on Youtube about adjusting the high speed idle, but my motor doesn’t seem to have an obvious one?

I’m just wondering if that’s about what I can expect? I can’t complain too much as it’s faster (and less effort) than paddling, but I was expecting a bit more out of it. I’m just wondering if I’m missing anything that could add some speed?

Cory

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

great little motors… I have 2 paid one $20 other was $50

easy to fix up see link

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … une-UP.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

tom-c
        Participant

Your motor has the fixed high speed jet. I’ve fixed the same problem by first – – remove the fixed high speed jet from the carb and clean it well – that little orifice is very critical. If that doesn’t solve the problem then you can buy an adjustable high speed jet to replace it. You run the motor with the lower covers off and adjust the high speed with a screwdriver while running it wide-open on the boat. Then you can leave it alone and put the covers back on. Those replacement adjustable jets work pretty good and I think i paid $5 on eBay.

phil-b
          Participant

Is this one of those high speed jets that’s easily ruined trying to remove it using a normal tapered screwdriver, or by poking a wire thru it????

corythecowboy
            Participant

Hey guys,

I’m not a mechanic by any means, but I’m stuck during the tear-down trying to get the gas tank off following the directions here http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … Covers.htm

I’ve disconnected the fuel line hose, but as the picture shows, can’t remove the fuel shutoff valve as I hit the mount for the bolt

Do I need to remove the fuel shutoff valve first?

quote Tom C:

Your motor has the fixed high speed jet. I’ve fixed the same problem by first – – remove the fixed high speed jet from the carb and clean it well – that little orifice is very critical. If that doesn’t solve the problem then you can buy an adjustable high speed jet to replace it. You run the motor with the lower covers off and adjust the high speed with a screwdriver while running it wide-open on the boat. Then you can leave it alone and put the covers back on. Those replacement adjustable jets work pretty good and I think i paid $5 on eBay.

Do you have a link or a search term handy? I searched adjustable jet on eBay and got overwhelmed…

Thanks,

Cory

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try to shut off the gas valve or if that doesn’t work, remove the "T" part of the gas valve.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s opening up all the way. You may want to go thru the carburetor to make sure the high speed jet is clean.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Before you go messing with the carburetor, make sure it is running on both cylinders. I don’t think it is.

corythecowboy
                    Participant
                      quote Steve A W:

Try to shut off the gas valve or if that doesn’t work, remove the "T" part of the gas valve.

Steve A W

I guess I’ll have to remove the "T" valve. It doesn’t seem to matter where the "T" is positioned, it still won’t clear.

quote FrankR:

Before you go messing with the carburetor, make sure it is running on both cylinders. I don’t think it is.

At the risk of sounding dumb (won’t be the first or last time ;)), how do I do that?

quote Jerry Ahrens:

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s opening up all the way. You may want to go thru the carburetor to make sure the high speed jet is clean.

I’ll be sure to do that when I get it taken down.

Thanks fellas!

Cory

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cory
                        Screw the "T" handle clockwise, that will screw the valve closed.
                        And remember, The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.