Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 Evinrude Lightwin – Speed Question

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    corythecowboy
    Participant
      quote Steve A W:

Cory
      Screw the "T" handle clockwise, that will screw the valve closed.
      And remember, The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Steve A W

Sorry, my computer misquoted on me. I meant to say how can I be sure it’s running on both cylinders?

Thanks,

Cory

phil-b
      Participant

See if it runs the same with one spark plug wire disconnected from the plug, and shorted to the head?
        Shorting the spark plug wire to "ground" prevents arcing thru the coil casing to the magneto plate.

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member

3 HP isn’t going to plane a small boat with any sort of normal weight in it. That means you have a short displacement hull which is going to be slow. Calculation is about 8.6km/hr or a little over 5 mph. 3 HP should get it to hull speed though, not much more.

david-bartlett
          Participant

Cory,

I’m with Frank on this one. Sounds like you have a 1 cylinder Lightwin.

Here is a video of my JW(same motor essentially) running in a bucket. About 45 seconds in I rev it up some, but not all the way, and even that much seems to be running stronger than yours but it is hard to say from videos.

Anyway, Welcome, and enjoy your motor.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was jumping the gun too, I think Frank is right, only running on one cylinder. Possible bad plug or ignition.
              Next, I would have a look at the throttle cam. Sometimes the carb linkage gets stuck and just bends the cam back when you try to advance the throttle.
              And yeah, don’t try to remove the high speed jet without the correct tool: OMC 317002, you will mess up the jet and the bowl. But, I’m thinking the engine would have just faltered and stalled out if it was too lean. But, I guess someone could have messed with the jet or replaced it with a larger one causing it to run too rich.
              Finally, sure looks like someone has jammed the wrong low speed needle in the carb, but that shouldn’t really affect the high speed too much.
              And yes, you can usually sneak the tank out of the bracket with the fuel valve still in place.

corythecowboy
              Participant

Neither my Dad or I are mechanics, but it certainly looks like it’s only running on one cylinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdrioF … e=youtu.be

Cory

The Boat House
                Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by The Boat House.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by The Boat House.
                  crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you did open the vent ?

tried openning the gas cap.. if it runs better the 2 vent holes Under the scrw vent are crudded up …look closely to find 2 holes..
                    open them up with a paper clip or small wire

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

corythecowboy
                    Participant
                      quote crosbyman:

you did open the vent ?

tried openning the gas cap.. if it runs better the 2 vent holes Under the scrw vent are crudded up …look closely to find 2 holes..
                      open them up with a paper clip or small wire

Vent is open and the two holes are clear. Thanks for that though 🙂

Cory

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, so much for the simple solution, seems to sound stronger in the tank than on the boat, but seems to be running on both cylinders.
                        RPM seems pretty high, but not much thrust coming from prop in the tank. Is the prop in good shape, shear pin and rubber prop hub OK?
                        Doesn’t idle worth a fart, but that may be due to what looks to be the wrong needle valve jammed into the carb.
                        Have you done a compression test? Sounds like it has an exhaust leak (leaky exhaust cover?) as well.
                        Again, seems to wind up, so I don’t think the high speed jet is partially plugged, would probably just bog and die if that were the case. Doesn’t sound rich either, but anything is possible.
                        Just thought of something. Is this a lightwin or a yachtwin? A yachtwin has a right angle drive propeller, someone may have put a yachtwin gearcase on this engine with the larger pitch 5hp prop which the 3hp could never spin up.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.