Home Forum Ask A Member 1980s Evinride 7.5

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote mgsolakis:

I actually have 2 other CDI units for this motor but they are different and don’t have the same leads.

Yes, the later models used powerpacks with single primary leads that plugged directly onto the coils. The later model powerpack could be "converted" to work on your engine if the primary leads are long enough, but you would need to purchase a few of the terminal pins and sockets. Begin by cutting the plug on primary connectors off the new powerpack, then crimp/solder the socket connectors on the leads. Simply use the transfer the primary leads and stop lead from the new pack to the three pin rubber connector from the old pack. Then transfer the sensor and charge coil leads to the four pin rubber connector from the old pack.
      I have never done this, but am sure it would work fine provided the leads on the new powerpack are long enough. Be very careful to make sure all the leads are correctly placed to the timing isn’t off.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
        quote fleetwin:

quote mgsolakis:

I actually have 2 other CDI units for this motor but they are different and don’t have the same leads.

Yes, the later models used powerpacks with single primary leads that plugged directly onto the coils. The later model powerpack could be “converted” to work on your engine if the primary leads are long enough, but you would need to purchase a few of the terminal pins and sockets. Begin by cutting the plug on primary connectors off the new powerpack, then crimp/solder the socket connectors on the leads. Simply transfer the primary leads and stop lead from the new pack to the three pin rubber connector from the old pack. Then transfer the sensor and charge coil leads to the four pin rubber connector from the old pack.
        I have never done this, but am sure it would work fine provided the leads on the new powerpack are long enough. Be very careful to make sure all the leads are correctly placed to the timing isn’t off.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.