Home Forum Ask A Member 58′ Sea King 25hp Starter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    terriblecj
    Participant

Can anyone tell me the correct starter that would have been in this motor? I am only assuming that it would have been the same starter as the 25hp Evinrudes/Johnsons were using? It has what appears to be the factory starter bracket but it is ‘Johnson red. {EDIT} – I just rechecked and the model looks to be 8985A, which would have originally made this a manual-start if my research is correct. That would explain the red starter bracket, but it does bolt up correctly and it has what looks to be the correct flywheel. Maybe I should check the flywheel for a part# or maybe count the teeth? I couldnt find a # stamped on the starer bracket. Thanks for any advice I can get. I would love to get this thing running again but it really, really sucks pulling on that rope…..

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Although the ’58 25 horse Sea King Electric shares many parts with the ’55 Evinrude 25 HP Big Twin, I believe the starter is a 12 Volt model like the later 35 Horse Big Twin Evinrude / RDE Johnson. See page 93 for part numbers of starter motor for 22DE15

https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/Public/Gale%20Parts%20and%20service/Gale%201958%20Parts%20List/Gale%2022DE15

terriblecj
        Participant

Thank You Garry!

terriblecj
          Participant

After referencing the Gale parts manual, and rechecking the one I have, I found the part# of the starter bracket on my motor. It is 376507 and the one in the Gale book says it should be 203944….The bracket on the opposite side reads 203898 (I think) and the book quotes part #203570. What starter is supposed to fit in bracket #376507? I found a new starter that is somewhat stubby but the mounting bolts do not line up correctly with that bracket. There are no numbers/sticker/stamps anywhere on this starter. Should I be on the hunt for a new bracket or another starter?

terriblecj
            Participant

Ok, after digging even deeper, I have found that the #376507 is from a Johnson Javelin and probably a few others. Getting closer and closer….

chris-p
              Participant

As Garry stated, the JohnnyRudes 35hp starters will work, the 25hp 6 volt starters will not.

terriblecj
                Participant

So, (if anyone is even interested) I’m going to attempt to modify the starter I have to fit the bracket. I saw it done on another forum and it looks like the identical starter that I happen to have. http://729.activeboard.com/t41454793/replacement-for-an-autolite-mdo-4002m-starter/

terriblecj
                  Participant

Now that the starter and bracket are sorted and tested, I need to wire it up. I have a 12v solenoid from Sierra but I’m not sure which post is which. The 6v solenoid on my 56′ Sea King is different so I cant copy off that. I dont want to fry anything! I have a harness and switch all wired up, I just need to wire in the solenoid and starter. Thanks again

phil-b
                    Participant

Many (but not all) boat solenoids have two small posts (for the start switch circuit) and two large posts for the starter circuit. Some (like your 6v system) might only have one small post, for the ground.

The "small posts" on the the solenoid goes to a coil, which should have a low resistance (a few ohms).
                      On a "big twin" (25hp and up), one side typically goes to the "safety" switch on the motor (ground), the other side goes to the start switch (hot).

I’m sure someone will post the correct diagram for your motor, which will make more sense 🙂

terriblecj
                      Participant

My 6volt Solenoid in the 56′ Sea King has 3 posts and grounds to the metal tab/mounting bracket. Am I correct in thinking that one of the 4 posts on this 12volt solenoid is the ground and I would not use the metal tabs to ground it? This is Sierra solenoid # 18-5816

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.