Home Forum Ask A Member ’74 4hp Johnson Weedless.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Rehabbing a ’74 4hp Johnson Weedless.
      Replaced coils/ new condensers and swapped in some (better than the ones in there) used points. Swapped on a better gearcase too.

The cam follower has a groove worn in it, and the cam adjustment is all the way out so the throttle lever picks up a tiny bit late. Rather than trying to find a replacement I was thinking to elongate the hole in the cam and move it out a bit further?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I suppose you could do that. You might have to move both ends out if it won’t open all the way at WOT.
        OR you can simply replace the follower. marineengine has more than 10 on hand. Not cheap at $18.50, but what is, when it comes to boat parts?

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Can you fill that in with like JB weld or something? OR better yet they even have that stuff for plastic…..no need to modify anything just fill in that groove and return to service…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

Mumbles
          Participant

The follower can be filed flat to smoothen it out while the hole in the cam can be lengthened with a small file or Dremel to allow for more adjustment to compensate. I’ve been down this road a few times and it works fine.

wedgie
            Participant

I did check Marine engine, and by the time I factor in shipping and the low Canadian $ I couldn’t justify the cost. It’s a $200.00 motor if I’m lucky to find a buyer, and with the replacement coils and condensers I put in, I’ve already blown the budget allotted. Not that I expect to make money on this hobby, It’s just that I have a kitchen reno to pay for 😥 .

I also considered building up the low spot with a plastic bumper repair that I had used on my wife’s van when I poked a hole in it 😳 , but too cheap to buy more 🙄 .

No, I took the cheap rout and elongated the adjustment hole in the cam with a Dremel. It seems to have improved the low speed Idle. I can almost get as low as 800 rpm now (didn’t check it before). It blows around 90 psi even, and I used the timing fixture to adjust the old points.

With enough money you can fix anything, but where’s the challenge in that…except the acquiring enough money part ?

Thanks for all the help 🙂

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

tried wrapping a thin sheet of Stainless steel or brass around the worn out area and rivet the thing with a small pin ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.