Home Forum Ask A Member 9.5hp carb needle adjustment knob tricks?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a trick to adhere a new plastic rich/lean knob to the end of the brass adjustment needle (the type with a wire attached to the needle, then back out to the front of the motor)?

I’ve been working on a batch of these motors and it is pretty common where the knurling on the brass knob is worn out and no good. I hate to use an epoxy, and question how effective that would even be in the first place.

Thanks again,

J

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Ah yes, the old "use a pair of pliers on it" syndrome. Nope, I don’t have a solution, just a grin. How about Gorilla Glue?

johnyrude200
        Participant

Right after I submitted this question, I happened to find a knob that has 2 little screws you can tighten down on the brass knob. I’d LOVE (and I’m sure everyone else would to) to know where I can find these to buy. It works perfectly in this (and I would imagine, all situations like this one). Grabs the brass, doesn’t slip, and doesn’t matter what shape that brass knob is. Basically ends all needs for any sort of adhesive, and any need to replace either the brass or the plastic.

It is sort of like the screws you use to tighten down the glass fixture which goes over a ceiling fan. I can post a picture if people are scratching their heads, and I’m sure someone will know a place to buy these. I have come across a couple of these randomly in ‘parts bags’ from motors I picked up over the past 8 months, and this if the first time I put 2 and 2 together, as they say.

Eliminates all the headaches of re-engineering a design that was more complicated than necessary.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-compon … bs/=xyi1e7 Scroll down, lots of choices

Mumbles
            Participant

There should be a retaining spring pulling the flexible shaft down towards the lower cowling. If this spring is unhooked before adjusting the mixture, the flexible shaft will straighten out and the knob will stick out the front of the motor about an inch making it easy to do the adjustment. If the spring is left hooked up, it takes excessive force to turn the knob resulting in damaged knobs. Once the adjustment has been made, the spring gets hooked up again so the needle won’t vibrate out of adjustment while allowing a small amount of adjustment to be made without having to undo it again.

frankr
              Participant

US Member
                quote Mumbles:

There should be a retaining spring pulling the flexible shaft down towards the lower cowling. If this spring is unhooked before adjusting the mixture, the flexible shaft will straighten out and the knob will stick out the front of the motor about an inch making it easy to do the adjustment. If the spring is left hooked up, it takes excessive force to turn the knob resulting in damaged knobs. Once the adjustment has been made, the spring gets hooked up again so the needle won’t vibrate out of adjustment while allowing a small amount of adjustment to be made without having to undo it again.

Interesting, I never tried that. However, there is an E-ring retainer (203470) behind the panel that prevents the needle shaft from extending out the front. Do you remove that too?

johnyrude200
                Participant

I noticed the same issue. That spring really tightens things down. Depending on the condition of the motor sometimes I leave the spring off. Sometimes Ill leave that circlip off of the back side of the needle too. There should be one on both sides of the needle to stop it from moving in or out of the control panel, & making the knob fall off. The outer one is very small, easy to lose, & can be tricky to install at times if servicing the carb.

I think the outer one is more important because as these motors can shake a lot at low speed (especially the pre ’67’s w/o the vibration dampeners) the vibration will knock off or break the knob and/or choke lever. Forget it if the rubber mounts are on their way out. I even will remove the plastic square grommet on the choke lever orifice just to give it more leeway.

I have to say, last week I mounted at ’64 johnson powerhead/exhaust/gearcase into a spare ’71 lower/upper cowel. The ’64 did not have the updated outer exhaust bypass cover to allow for mounting to the ’71 vibration dampener, but on the carb side it could be used.

Even with just a single dampener, it made a pretty large difference.

I also had to teardown and replace the crank due to a stuck driveshaft. Talk about a full teardown just to get at the starboard side taper pins. The intake manifolds and leaf plates are totally different depending on the year too; Im impressed by how well the motors run based on just how far the fuel has to wrap around before entering the crankcase/cylinders.

No wonder the choke has to be fully closed to get these motorsto pop off initially.

I know the 9.9/15’s will NOT start without a closed choke, but even those don’t have as complicated of an intake manifold.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.