Home Forum Ask A Member Average/Maximum depth for transom clamps?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

As far as I can tell, the mounting depth of all of my outboards is within half an inch or so of this. Is that pretty much par for everything under a certain HP rating?

I’m working on building a hitch-mounted support for my boat so it doesn’t rest on the tailgate and I can get in and out of the bed of the truck with the boat in it. I also want to include a 2×8 or so in order to hang a couple of outboards on it while I am heading to and from the lake.

Right now I’m trying to figure out the depth I will need to have the outboards not hit the metal cross-bar that is going to be the bulk of the support.

A rough version of the design so you can understand what I’m talking about.
      The grey box is the rough dimensions of the truck’s bed with the tailgate up and down, the blue is the boat upside down.

kerry
      Participant

US Member

Looks pretty good to me. Use the depth of the biggest hp motor you have and add a couple inches. Never know when something bigger might jump into the collection. I kept myself to a 10hp maximum for years, but a smoking deal on an 18 came along. Oh, well.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.