Home Forum Ask A Member Bad Coil ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    slackwater67
    Participant

Evinrude 3702s starts easily and runs very well for a short time and dies and hard to start. When the motor is cold again, it starts right up
      Thanks lee

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

could be a condenser.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so you have a 1967 3hp Evinrude, correct?
          Well, your engine has two coils under the flywheel, one for each cylinder. It is possible that one or both coils has failed/cracked. The best bet is to check spark immediately after the engine stalls to see if you are losing spark to one or both of the cylinders.
          In order to get at the coils, the flywheel must be removed, which requires a special puller. Older coils have a tendency to crack, creating a short to ground on the secondary circuit. Your flywheel may have an inspection cover that would allow you to sneak a peek at the coils without removing the flywheel. The coils are NG if the cases are cracked.

slackwater67
          Participant

Correct 1967 3hp. I have not checked fire immediately after failure but will do that next go round. The motor runs perrrrfect when running…. Just doesn’t last long. I feel like coils most likely culprit..thanks for info

slackwater67
            Participant

I have another ignition plate with good hardware I am going to put on the motor and see if it fixes the problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.