Home Forum Ask A Member Carb was running over. Was sure it would be ab easy fix.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

I have a really nice, original paint, Mercury Mark 7 that I haven’t run very much. Went to 3 Lakes in Wisconsin (nice lakes) for Memorial Day weekend and took it to run. Had a note on the motor that said, carb. tends to run over but a couple wraps on the float bowl will stop it. Well not this time. Always take a 3hp Lightwin as back up so we didn’t miss out on the nice weather we had. The Mark 7 has been sitting on the rack ever since. Its getting to be that time of the year, where the motors that we’ve run need their pre-winter service along with any necessary repairs.  I was thinking an hour or 2 to make a new float. Ended up taking most of the day and I still haven’t removed the impeller and changed the gear oil. I found that the float wasn’t the problem. There was a lot of dirt around the needle and seat. Gave the carb. a good cleaning, and had it back on the motor. As I started to put the fuel line back on I thought, maybe I better take a look at the filter as that dirt shouldn’t have been there. And that was where the fun began. For some reason the filter was now bigger than the hole it went in. After several attempts to pull it out I snapped off the stud. To get the filter out I would shake it around in the tank till I could get it on my finger. Then I would twist the filter into the threads as far as I could, no more than 2 or 3 threads, and use a dental pick to pull out as much of it as I could. This took several hours. When I did get the busted stud out it was obvious where all the dirt came from.

Steve D
      Participant

That’s a great job Tubs!

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Nice job – looks good as factory new!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Larry Caton
          Participant

US Member

Nice work!

Monte NZ
            Participant

International Member

Well done  Tubs ……a very neat job.  You must be very satisfied with the result

The Boat House
              Participant

Recently someone was asking about these filters as his was missing. My solution is probably too late to be of any value to him but someone else may find it useful in the future. Tubs
                bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Tubs, amazing job……..as usual.
                  Bob D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.