Home Forum Ask A Member CONTROL CABLES FOR MY 56 JOHNSON 30HP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    retroman
    Participant

Hi guys
      Having trouble finding control cables for my vintage Johnson. I’m running a Johnson shipmaster control box. I had no luck with marine engine .com or any of the other sites that come up after a google search. Thanks
      Jim

chris-p
      Participant

Just go to your local marine and they will cut them to length for you.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Retro, it should be easy–depending. A few questions for you? Which Shipmaster, the one with round knobs or the newer one with shaped knobs? If the round knobs, do you insist on the original cables with rubber sheath, or will you accept the much better ones with the plastic adjusting nut? The original ones with rubber sheath are obsolete, but the newer ones will replace them. That is, newer up to 1979. Newer than 1979 are a whole different cable.

Come back with more info, for better answers.

phil-b
          Participant

I think "Teleflex 400 series" is what you need. Available in lengths from 6′ to 24′

Looks like BRP still sells them as well:
            http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … &sid=35594

Hopefully you have all the "ends"

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Another source: http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Type-400- … _id.250883
              Type 400 fits up to 1979. Type 479 fits 1979-up

raglover
              Participant

US Member

Whole sale marine also sells the type 400 cables and also just the 400 series ends if you have good cabes in the boat but dried ot ad cracked connectors to the engine…the shift side is especially prone to breaking once old

retroman
                Participant

thanks for the info guys I’ll check out the Teleflex 400 series.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.