Home Forum Ask A Member Dents in aluminum tank

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Yeah I have ruined a tank with only 11 psi.

40 psi would completely destroy most, unless you spent a considerable amount of time making a perfect jig!

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

I have heard that filling with water and freezing will work never tried it.

The Boat House
        Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by The Boat House.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by The Boat House.
          Goman
          Participant

I miss remembered the article stating 45 lbs. when I tried it. It got the dent out plus a pin hole and some ballooning to boot.[url=http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/gomartin1/media/028_zpsxnhycp6b.jpg.html][/url]

3davet
            Participant

Like Richard said you can cut out a hole on the unseen side of the tank and bang it out from the back if possible. What I did with an HA-10 tank was to scribe a line from the tank onto a piece of 1×2 then cut and sand it to approximate the tank radius. Put the tank on the table and GENTLY tap at the dent, rocking the tank around as needed, and take a peek at your progress every couple taps. The last thing you want is for your "inny" dent to become an "outty" Worked great for me other than the $25 to weld the rear piece back on the tank.

brook-n
              Participant

Over the years I have seen several tanks at meets that folks have turned into beach balls using excessive air pressure attempting to remove dents. ( some repair manuals even suggest using air pressure ) Even though it is more labor intensive, I personally rather cut a window in the tank remove the dents & weld it back up. The good thing is
                You will end up with several options to consider here on this board.

Good luck
                Respectfully
                Brook N.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.