Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 20. Is this noise a problem?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    skaraborgcraft
    Participant

Hi all, first posting suggested by a member from the Woodenboat forum. I have an Evinrude 20 that im just about to put into service for the season, however, i dont recall it being this "noisy" when i heard it test run when i bought it last year; i have not used the engine yet.

I posted a short video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGVu36 … e=youtu.be

Im currently getting feedback ranging from "they all sound like that" to " mine sounded like that just before it expoloded"

I dont have time to strip it, but there is no noticable play in the small ends, it runs smooth all the way down to a 990rpm idle.
      Another thing, previous owner said to use 100-1 mix, yet i have just been notified that OMC dealers were told to inform owners to go back to 50-1 mix. Any help appriciated. Ian

frankr
      Participant

US Member

It’s really hard to tell about sounds in a video, but from what I can tell, it sounds normal. What I am confident of is run 50:1, not 100:1

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

I believe I hear the noise you are referring too. My 35 does that too. I believe you are hearing some piston slap noise. Yours sounds like it has more than mine does though, maybe due to a lot of hours running 100/1mix? Try taking it for a ride to warm it up good, then try idling it down and see if that noise is less noticeable. Personally I’ve seen some of those that are pretty noisy.
          You should absolutely run 50/1 in that motor, as already stated.

skaraborgcraft
          Participant

Thanks for the replies so far. I have already added extra oil to the fuel for its first trip out. I dont intend to thrash it first time out, will give it a good warm up before heading for higher revs. Having watched a few other videos, some sound just as bad, but they are all getting older! Thanks again. Ian

frankr
            Participant

US Member

You have to realize that is not a car. It has all roller bearings, not oil cushioned plain bearings as a car does. It also has a shocking amount of piston taper, compared to a car. Shocking because if you were to pull the head and try to move the top of the pistons back and forth, they will due to the taper. All this sounds like a bucket of bolts if you are not used to it. On the other hand, outboards are built to run at 5000 or more RPM all day long. Don’t try that with a car.

One more thing, a two-stroke always has fresh, cool, clean oil. A four stroke uses the same hot, dirty oil over and over and over again.

skaraborgcraft
              Participant

Thankyou FrankR, im almost feeling a little better about it. All of my four stroke motorcycles outlived my 2 strokes by a large margin before needing major work.Oils are completely different in structure from what that is made to be burnt in combustion and one staying in the engine for for several hundred hours, though i know a lot of outboards do not even have basic paper filters in the oil system. Cheers

frankr
                Participant

US Member

You are correct, two different animals. And different oils. Besides, many two strokes are built with low cost in mind. Of course, you know that two strokes don’t need oil filters, because they don’t accumulate dirt to filter out.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with Frank, the noises you are referring to a perfectly normal for that style engine, not to worry.

skaraborgcraft
                    Participant

Thankyou gents, you have been very helpfull at putting my mind at rest. Great forum. Ian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.