Home Forum Ask A Member Found a Caille in a junk shop

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    hugh
    Participant

I didn’t want the shop owner to think I was too interested in it so I have no info. It is a single, has Detroit something. It turns and seams to have fair compression and not in bad shape. The tank is very good also with just 2 very small dents. complete as far as I can see with good prop. He is asking $125 but said to make him an offer. Not much info, but is it worth $75 or $100?? 😉

The down side is I bought 2 outboards Thursday in Reno and 2 Johnson 3hp folders in Carson today, but??? I was out of cash when I stopped to see this one. PS here is a photo that I think is about the same as the one I saw, but not this fine

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

If THAT is the actual motor, you should already have it at your house for $125…..Just my opinion

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

Any Caille motor is worth a hundred dollars. It may be a model 79 or an 88. Better grab it.

hugh
          Participant

That’s not a photo of the actual motor or I would have pulled out the plastic card and bought 😀 . The guy said make him an offer, so I know he will take 100. Just spoke to my friend in Carson ( and hour away for me ) and he will pick it up for me. Think I will offer him $75 and see what he will take. I have been looking at Caille info in the books and think I would not go wrong for the price.

ddoyle
            Participant

Get back and have a critical look. No cracks in castings all parts there etc peel off 125 and thank him for bothering to rent a shop so that you could find it! Do not be too hard on the bargain pay fair and you are very likely to find this fellow brings you more treasures. Leave your card and maybe show him some pictures of square tank engines so he will know what to look for.

If there are major issues with it like hunks missing or cracked water jackets be gracious but prudent in your offer. You do not have to worry about this guy thinking you are too keen he has had old outboards sit in his shop and has seen piles of them in barns. You want him to know you are KEEN KEEN KEEN (but not a sucker) If he knows you will pay fair for this stuff he will call you first and he might grab up stuff that he would leave for the garbage man in absence of a good customer.

All my best finds have come from telling people that I have "an addiction" and that I am a "sucker for old outboards". When they know you are keen they will go thru the trouble of making stuff available. IF they think you are a tire kicker they are not going to call great uncle Bart and convince him to move 50 hay bales to get at "that old motor".
              At the end of the day you control your wallet so no need to worry about what they think they can get. Keep the games to a minimum. You can walk away if they are greedy and likewise they can offer you more and better stuff if you are fair.

Sorry for the ramble but I am sitting here waiting for a caretaker of a light industrial park to call back about a dumpster full of repo’d small engines replete with lots of old OBs. He knows I am KEEN so he went to the trouble of calling the bondsman. If he thought I was not keen he would not have called………. at least two square tanks in there……………one freshly crushed……..oh the agony.

hugh
              Participant

I went ahead and called my buddy over there and he is picking it up for me. 😉 I called the guy and asked what he needed for it and he said $100 plus tax would suit him. I should have taken more time looking at it and hit an ATM for some cash. It’s an hour away so I won’t have it here for a week or so.

mas
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Send a pic when you get it

hugh
                  Participant

I will probably pick it up next Friday. Will get all the info off it, inspect it and up load a photo too.

kevinrude
                    Participant

I’ve pissed away $100 on worse chances than this! Nice score no matter how it turns out!

legendre
                      Participant

How do you pronounce that marque, anyway?

Kale? Kal? Kyle? Calley? Kah-lay?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.