Home Forum Ask A Member Full Synthetic Oil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    treeguy
    Participant

US Member

I’ve been using full synthetic 2-stroke, TC-W3 oils for years in my vintage/antique outboards (at the outboard manufacturer’s recommended mixture rates). Back about 8-10 years ago, I used to buy a gallon of Pennzoil Marine Full Synthetic for a little over $20 at a big box store. Unfortunately, it’s no longer available. A friend was kind enough to give me several quarts of Amsoil’s marine oil, but I’m down to my last one and want to look for a new option as a quart of Amsoil Marine will run over $19 each. That gets pretty expensive when running an 8:1 mixture in a Johnson KA-10! Does anyone have any recommendations for a good full synthetic, not synthetic blend, 2-stroke, TC-W3 oil that doesn’t break the bank?

bobw
      Participant

US Member

I believe the only full “after-market” synthetic TCW-3 oil still available is Lucas Marine 2-cycle oil at about $45 a gallon.   Quicksilver used to have a full synthetic but I’m not sure it’s still available.   BRP still has their XD-100 full synthetic but it’s up around $55 a gallon now.  Lots of synthetic blends at a better price out there if you wanted to reconsider that option.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

The Boat House
        Participant

I have been using synthetics since 1975 when Amsoil had only one 2 cycle oil for all applications. I was using it in my dirt bikes at 100 to I and it was better than all the 2 cycle oil available at that time, over doubling the time needed for a top end rebuild. Started using the Pennzoil syn. Over 20 years ago because not only was it a full synthetic, it was biodegradable. When I learned it was discontinued I was able to get 16 gallons. Now that it’s gone I’ve been looking for a replacement. There have been others that are no longer available. At this time there are 2 outboard motor, biodegradable, 2 cycle full synthetics that I know of. One is Bel Ray that I’m trying this summer. I can’t offer an inexpensive 2 cycle full synthetic but I do run 3oz. per gallon in most all my outboard motors. I have videos of some of them on You Tube. Not a recommendation. Offered as information only.Tubs

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I have an unopened gallon of Pennzoil that I won’t be using since I sold my boat.  Send me a PM

treeguy
            Participant

US Member

Thank you for the replies! I’ve been looking into the Quicksilver PWC oil, which seems to be a fairly decent deal at a little less than $60 per gallon! I’m not seeing anything that indicates it’s TC-W3 rated. Tubbs, maybe you can elaborate on whether or not that rating is necessary, particularly with water-cooled antique/vintage outboards.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

read somewhere….. some time ago that the rating TC-W3 on products involves a royalty fee to some organization thus increases  the product price whereas some  oils are just as good but some manuf. never  adhered to the  royalty charge …so no mention of  meeting of TC-W3 specs.

up to you.. if it says for water cooled engines it is probaby ok 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
                Participant

Well Amsoil has probably 10 or more 2 cycle product’s today. Is there any difference beside the label on the bottle? When it first came out – only needed the one bottle for everything. I used the Amsoil in my dirt bikes and my chain saw. The chain saw got the same 100 to 1 mix I was using in the dirt bikes. I didn’t start using a synthetic in my outboard motors till I started using the Pennzoil. Many of my early motors are bushing motors and don’t have crankshaft seals. The oil makes the seal and 100 to 1 mix isn’t enough oil. 3 oz per. gal. (about 42 to 1) has been adequate for most of them. I don’t want to have containers with different mixes all over so I just use the same oil at that mix in everything. Still have the chain saw, and still use it but not as much as when I was burning wood in the 1970’s. I bought the gallon of Stihl (air cooled) biodegradable 2 cycle oil as a replacement for the Pennzoil. I’ve been using it in the 1929 Elto Folding N’s I’m running this year and the Martin 75 my son-in-law uses on his boat. It seems to smoke a little more than the Pennzoil. I won’t be buying any more as it failed the flick test. (flick test – mix up some gas, stick your finger in the gas can, and flick some on the water. The Pennzoil and the Bel-Ray disappear in a few seconds. The Stihl and regular full syn. oils do not. ) I’ve been using Castrol snowmobile oil in my weed whacker and leaf blower to save what Pennzoil I had left for my outboards while looking for a replacement. This has been my experience. Not a recommendation. Use your best judgment.Tubs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.