Home Forum Ask A Member Grease Application for 1955 Johnson

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Buster
    Participant

US Member

The grease fittings on my Johnson CD-12 are not the standard Zerk fittings I usually see.  They’re are a smooth stem about 1/4 inch diameter.  What method do you use to apply grease to these engines?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try your grease gun anyway

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, they made a grease gun with a special tip for those cast fittings. Actually, two or three types.  Best one had a rubber insert in the tip that simply pressed against the fitting.  There was a similar one that instead of the rubber , simply had rounded/concave end that likewise pressed against the fitting.  Those types were hand-packed with grease to fill.  Those were an easy after-the sale-accessory item along with a can of grease when closing the deal on a new motor.  Then there was the one that had a similar tip and screwed to the end of a tube of grease.  That one was nice, but didn’t work well.

I’ll look when I go out to the shop to see if I still have a gun with one those tips and report back if I do.  The one with the concave end would be an easy one to reproduce.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I do have a rubber seat tip that I have put on a conventional grease gun. But couldn’t get a decent picture of it with my phone camera.

20240725_1853582

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.