Home Forum Ask A Member Help identify vintage push button switch/plate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    causewayjen
    Participant

I cannot seem to post a photo of it, but can anyone help me identify a vintage Johnson push button and switch plate assembly? I have looked in the parts books as far back as 1958 and cannot find it so I assume it is earlier than that. The plate is red with silver lettering, squared on top, rounded corners on bottom, 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall. Says "push and hold" "Start" "Choke" and "Push choke button to stop". There is a silver silhouette of the Seahorse emblem between the words "start" and "choke". It has red and black rubber buttons, the metal of the switch is brassy colored and the part of the switch behind the plate is square, not rounded. I know a picture would be so much more helpful but according to the FAQ on here, the photo has to be on a public server, and mine is not. Thanks for any help.

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

Sounds like an early dash plate. Simple plate, no raised edges or crimped corners. I believe they came with first gen electric start models, c. 1953-54. ’55 had a rectangular plate with green & red litho on the face.

phil-b
        Participant

Couldn’t find the Johnson version, but had recently seen the Evinrude version in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bP2lh5eTU

(about 35 seconds in)

1954 was the first year for the "RDE" model.

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

these were introduced in ’56, and for that year only. the next year they went to the chrome ones with the big medallion in the middle.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Function is to switch on the electric motor that spins the motor over to start it & the other button shorts out the points stopping the motor. Quite simple switching.

causewayjen
              Participant

Thank you so much! That photo looks exactly like the plate. Thank you to everyone for your responses!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.