Home Forum Ask A Member Hydraulic tilt for 1963 and 1970 40hp Evinrude / Johnson

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member

Hi everyone.
      Was there ever a hydraulic tilt unit available for the above motors.
      I had a hunch that I had seen one several years back on a 40hp Johnson.
      Age is catching up with me and I thought it would be interesting to see if they were ever produced, as it could make boating a bit easier
      if I could find one.

Thanks in anticipation
      Monte NZ

Michael
      Participant

International Member

No OEM tilt for these motors. Could adapt an aftermarket one. CMC make one for example that will work

kerry
        Participant

US Member

Never heard of, or seen a factory tilt for Big Twins, but CMC Marine offers a power tilt and trim unit for motors up to 35hp- but since modern 35’s are propshaft rated and/or four strokes (heavy), it should be fine for older 40hp motors. http://www.cmcmarineproducts.com/produc … p-to-35-HP

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

You guys ready for a surprise? Check this:

kerry
            Participant

US Member

Okay, but I still haven’t seen one in person…. have you, Frank? Got to be pretty rare if they do actually exist. ($$$$$$)

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Nope, I can’t say that I’ve ever seen one. But marineengine has a 172070 (33hp) for $400. Did somebody mention $$$$$$? The electric/hydraulic power unit was also used on other models, which I’ve seen. But I don’t know what sort of contraption it uses on the 33-40.

kerry
                Participant

US Member

As scarce as it may be, I will still bow to the Master. Well played, Frank.

Monte NZ
                  Participant

International Member

Hullo everyone.
                    Thanks very much all of you for your replies and thanks too Frank,for posting the 1970 listing proving that they were available…….my memory hasn’t gone to the dog’s after all!!!
                    The price of $400 US, when converted to New Zealand dollars plus freight plus GST would make it a very expensive exercise!!!
                    I guess even in USA, the $400 dollar price tag would put a lot of people off purchasing one.
                    On the basis that you chaps haven’t seen one over your way,the chances of picking up a second hand one here would be most unlikely.
                    The only other thought I have ,is would it be possible to modify a tilt unit of a later 50hp?……….I will see if I can learn anything from dealers down here.

Thanks very much again for your input………you certainly are a very knowledgeable bunch of guys!!

Keep up the good work!
                    MonteNZ

PS I will check out the price at CMC Marine just for curiosity,but I suspect that it will still cost a lot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.