Home Forum Ask A Member ID of Outboard Motor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    abbera
    Participant

I found an old outboard motor at a garage sale and was wondering if this forum can provide some information on it. It is a Champion Motors Co. outboard and has a horseshoe shaped tank. Serial number is BIF 32093. Year? HP? Engine appears to be complete and turns over easily. Is this a 2 cycle engine and if so what mixture ratio should I use. Tank appears clean and I suspect this will start right up as it turns over freely. I am located in Redding, California. Is their a member in this area that might be able to provide more info? Thank you – Randy

phil-b
      Participant

B1F looks to be a 1940 3.2hp "Blue Streak Single" serial number range 30,000-32,596

Videos of one running (fast & slow):
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-XqF_P9wI
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywkh5og8MY

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Your Champion model B1F was built by Scott Atwater in 1940. it was a 3.2 horse power single with a bore of 2-1/8" and a stroke of 1-¾". The power was rated @ 3,900 RPM, The three bladed aluminum propeller had a diameter of 7-½" and pitch of 6-½". The breaker point gap was .015" and the Champion D16 sparkplug (now 516) was gapped at .025". The fuel tank holds 6 pints and the factory recomended a mix of ¾ of a pint of SAE 30 wt. non-detergent oil with each gallon of unleaded gasoline. The lower unit (gear case) is lubricated with John Deere Corn Head Grease. The outboard is water cooled and weighs 33 pounds. It sold for $52.95 in 1940.

abbera
          Participant

Wow, quick response is really appreciated. The only think that deviates from this description is that mine has a 2 bladed aluminum prop. Upon further inspection the engine has good compression (60 psi) and good spark. The only thing that keeps me from trying to start it is there are minut particles of rust in the fuel tank and don’t need that down the carb. The tank also shows some exterior dents undoubtedly due to being loaded into and out of boat or vehicles. The lower end appears good and prop turns when I spin the engine. The mounting brackets are in good condition, turn freely and pivot up and down readily. Appears the downtube that supports the bracket is made of brass. Not being into these particularly I quess I will try and find a collector interested in this and just flip it. Any idea of value range? I know its hard to tell without seeing it but ballpark would be appreciated! Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.