Home Forum Ask A Member Length of driveshaft. 1958 Evinrude 10 horsepower.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

It’s difficult to be in this hobby and not break a few bolts along the way.  Hope you can find a good driveshaft.  My ’58 Johnson 10hp was the first motor I restored and was fortunate the gearcase and driveshaft were in good condition.   See pic of restored motor.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s difficult to be in this hobby and not break a few bolts along the way.  Hope you can find a good driveshaft.  My ’58 Johnson 10hp was the first motor I restored and was fortunate the gearcase and driveshaft were in good condition.   See pic of restored motor.

Good looking motor Bob. Did you paint it and put on the decals? Or is it original finish? I’m lucky I live in the great lakes area of the country. Most motors here come apart very easy. Short boating season and freshwater run.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Billy

Are you sure it is the original gearcase??  Early models used pinion that was keyed to the driveshaft, later models used a pinion that was splined to the driveshaft.  Your 1958 came with a keyed pinion, but perhaps the gearcase was changed using the splined pinion.  These two driveshafts are slightly different in length.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

I did a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration – all new ignition, carb overhaul, gearcase reseal, new water pump, new powerhead gaskets, and all new rubber grommets, paint job and decals.   Got the paint and decals from North York Marine.    Got my first experience with outboard motor broken bolt removal when I snapped off 2 cylinder head bolts.    Got too greedy and didn’t apply heat first – lesson learned.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.