Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury DNA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    A Hoskins
    Participant

US Member

Kinda related to moebeeza’s question, and not to hijack his post, Mercury sold 18 and 25 horsepressure motors in the early to mid 80’s when they phased out the 22 c.i. model 200 20 hp motor. 1. Are these of Asian manufacture (by who) ? and 2. To what can we attribute the 7 hp difference ? I think they are the same displacement and I read somewhere that the carbs are the same. Were there racing versions of this motor ? Would appreciate your input.

"Fox News" isn't.

thepetrolist
      Participant

All Mercury outboards nowadays under 30 HP are made by Tohatsu, as goes for Mariner too. Don’t know when they took over production but it might have been in the early eighties?

The rest of your questions I’ll leave for someone else to answer, but a wild guess would be that they had higher compression and/or different jet setup in the carb which gave a slightly higher hp output.

bill-russell
        Participant

Almost all 18,20,and 25 hp two stroke engines were built by Mercury, in Fond du lac, Wi..from the eighties thru around 2003. There are also some Belgium assembled motors.Tohatsu built some small two strokes, and now builds all Mercury 4 strokes from 2.5 thru 30 hp. Mercury 40,50,and 60 4 stroke EFI engines are Mercury designed and assembled in China,Ugh. Bill

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Bill has it just about right and BRP has done the same thing as of 2006. Tohatsu builds all of their small engines also up to 15hp (I think). So far BRP has resisted any 4 strokes. Their 4 strokes came from a joint venture with Suzuki. The lone exception was the 9.9/15 that OMC did on its own. (Won’t talk about that). Other technologies have been shared with Tohatsu by both Mercury and BRP as I understand it.

Dan in TN

dockbuster1
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe that both the loop charged 18 25 and the old 22cui were available in 1980 after that the loop charged engine which was very different from the old 20 hp and the new engine had a lot more zip it was made for U.S. consumption until 2006 or2009 in the Fon Du lac plant and may still be made for over seas markets . In 1981-2 the workers went on strike and the staff put the engines together our salesman was on the line the lower unit was terrible I believe as a result the lower was completely changed in late 1983 and the cowlings in the 90’s

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.