Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury switch on Evinrude

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member

I there any way to adjust the mercury switch setting on a 1958 Lark? I need more throttle when starting, but the switch kicks out too early. If I can start it with lower throttle, I have to catch it and throttle up before it stalls. I’ve had similar issues on my 56 Gale Buccaneer.

retiredoz
      Participant

Quoting from the manual : No maintenance required except a periodic check for tightness of mounting and condition of lead wire. The mercury switch should make contact and complete the circuit from from starter switch and motor if the terminal endis below the horizontal position. When the roundedend of the switch is below the horizontal position the switch should break contact, preventing operation of the electric starter. The switch should make or break contact when the angle between the bracket and the horizontal line is more than 52 degrees and less than 64 degrees. My note : the last line is unclear to me since I have no clue what ‘bracket’ it’s talking about, and the illustration doesn’t help me. Anyway, it appears there may be a provision for moving the switch to change the angle of the dangle ?

david-bartlett
        Participant

David,

You are talking about the switch on the throttle linkage, correct? I don’t see a way to adjust, outside of bending the tab where it mounts, but should not have to do that. Something else is likely off. Is all the linkage tight, engine mounts good, etc?

Good luck, and see you at the lake.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

I bent the mounting tab on mine slightly to allow a little more throttle.

retiredoz
            Participant

How about throttle/mag synchronization ?

davidk
              Participant

US Member

Good suggestions. Thanks, guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.