Home Forum Ask A Member oil all over magneto plate

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    joshadurham
    Participant
      quote crosbyman:

broken oïl slinger part 10 on cd 13 list

If the oil slinger is broken, how do I access it to confirm and replace?

Thanks

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Crosby, how did you arrive at that conclusion? Am I missing something?

In my humble opinion, that mess is excess grease from the mag plate mounting mixed and washed down by what ever leakage got past the slinger system. Let’s face it, the slinger system works surprisingly well, but it is not 100% effective. I always expect some oil on the mag plate after a lot of running. A proper cleaning and tune-up takes care of it.

Fleetwin, manifold vacuum is what sucks the oil back down to the crankcase. Those two "tube" sections between the screws in picture #1 are where the passages are drilled inside them.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Help me understand…
          How can you tell that the metal crankshaft slinger is broken? Are you saying that stray piece in his hand is part of the slinger? It looks like some of the crankcase casting about the slinger might be missing, but not really sure just where the crankcase seam is because the mag plate is still in place.
          Confused, as usual!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK Frank, that makes sense, a messy lower seal assy would probably just supply water/rust to enter that area.

cajuncook1
            Participant

Just supplying a diagram for on going referencing.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

FRank R

picture shows a ring in parts I had similar broken slinger on a 7.5

is the part not the slinger in the picture ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
                Participant

US Member

perhaps this will help

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote joshadurham:

quote crosbyman:

broken oïl slinger part 10 on cd 13 list

If the oil slinger is broken, how do I access it to confirm and replace?

Thanks

Josh-
                    I think there is some confusion here, I don’t believe the slinger is broken. I would follow Frank’s advice and just clean everything up and reassemble.
                    In any event, the only way to access/replace that slinger is to split the crankcase and remove the slinger from the crankshaft.

joshadurham
                    Participant

thanks everyone! I got a flashlight and further inspected the oil slinger, and it looks to be perfectly intact. I cleaned all the grease and oil up from everything, and reassembled it. I just bought the timing fixture tool, and coil locating ring from Frank, so this is a great opportunity to break those new tools in. I’ll be tank testing it in the morning.

Thanks
                      Josh

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.