Home Forum Ask A Member Pawl Springs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    1946zephyr
    Participant

Some time ago, before this website was completely changed, someone was kind enough to post some instructions on how to make the old style starter pawl springs. These are the type of springs used on a lot of pre-1950 small horsepower motors.
      If the kind gentleman would be willing to re-post the info, I would greatly appreciate it. 😎

edgartc
      Participant

This guy has had them in the past, he is in IA.

http://www.ganotech.com

Mumbles
        Participant

1946zephyr
          Participant

Yes!! Thats the one Mumbles. I picked up the piano wire from the music shop already, so I figured I better use it.
            I’m retro fitting these to a TAS motor here. The factory ones are pretty hokey and broke off.

legendre
            Participant

FWIW I’ve just formed them in situ, right on the flywheel, using the posts as mandrels. Came out like factory work.

(used a small needle nose to form the small end.)

Mumbles
              Participant

You are the man, legendre. You are ‘The Man’!

legendre
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

You are the man, legendre. You are ‘The Man’!

So long as I’m not the same ‘Man’ I keep hearing about – you know, the one who is allegedly "keeping everyone down" – then I’m probably OK with it.. 😉

Mumbles
                  Participant

Take it as a compliment. I thought it was a good idea! 😀

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Just a few thoughts on making these springs. I have not tried making them with the slotted nail method, but I have made them in place using the recommended 0.016" diameter plain steel guitar strings.

Making them in place with the 0.016" resulted in springs that work. The problem is that these springs tend to be a little too powerful for the lowest idle settings. By lowest idle, I mean two or three clicks up from grounded or off. At this lowest idle, there is not enough centrifical force for the pawls to overcome the springs, and you can hear the sound of the pawls engaging. Not good.

So, maybe I need to experiment with some smaller diameter wire, more like the thinner factory springs. You can still find NOS springs, but they tend to cost between $5.00 to $7.00 each which is a little steep for me.

ede
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1946Zephyr, Check your PM’s Sent you a note regarding springs -ede

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.