Home Forum Ask A Member Pics of $50 Sportwin

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

DDWILSON….

Been soaking it 4-6+ weeks …it is all freed up now ..

it needed some P&H (peg and hammer) to convince it to turn and one day….bingo! 😀

haven’t pulled the flywheel yet but it is sparking fine. I have a new impeller and headgasket to install before I try a test run with some seafom/engine tuner to finish the loosening process.

as a mosquito smoker…yes maybe I will break it in again after resting 49 years 😆

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Boy o boy, what a great find. I’m sure it will run great with a 50 cent hone job (emery on the cylinders), I’m glad it found a home to preserve it as an amazing time capsule.
        Always loved those 66 Evinrude colors/graphics!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

do you think just running a 600- 800 or something grit would do ?
          I am not equipped for doing honing jobs with tools and wont be splitting this one

cyl. walls are actually mirror smooth

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mirror smooth cylinder walls aren’t necessarily a good thing. Honing leaves microscopic grooves to trap oil which helps lube and seal the cylinders to the pistons skirts.
            I agree, please do not pull that powerhead down to hone the cylinders. Don’t be afraid to go a little more coarse than 600 grit, these engines are not fussy, the dust/grit can be blown out/cleaned out with carb cleaner.
            Mix the oil a little heavier on start up and use the sea foam/engine tuner to free up a partially stuck ring situation that might be present.
            After using it a few times, be sure to fog it down good, and pull the drain plug on the carb to preserve this nice outboard time capsule!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.