Home Forum Ask A Member Pivot tube question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

Hello all

I am currently working on a 1947 Evinrude sportsman as some of you may know already. When tearing down the motor I noticed that the main swivel bracket was loose on the pivot tube causing it to not be very smooth when turning the motor back and forth. I took the lower unit off and then the lower drive shaft housing off the bottom of the pivot tube. When I took this off I noticed that there was some brass tape looking material in there that was acting as a buffer. When I took the swivel bracket off of the pivot tube there was no such tape in there. Could this be my problem? If not how should I go about tightening this back up? I originally thought that there would be bearings in there bu there isn’t.

Thanks for the help,
      Ryan

Mumbles
      Participant

Yeah, there should be an upper and lower bushing in there.

It’s quite possible someone has Macgyvered it in the last 68 years.

1946zephyr
        Participant

Good opportunity to royally clean it and re-lube it. Then you’ll be good for another 68 years 🙂

wyo307
          Participant

Mumbles thank you for the diagram although it is not quite the exact one for my engine it helps. There have been a number of things that have been macgyvered as I go through this engine but thats the way the guy was that had it before me.

Zephyr I had planned on cleaning the crap out of everything anyways so I don’t have to touch it for years. Better to do it all at once than a little at a time in my opinion. The only thing I am not planning on doing is taking the crank case and cylinder head apart because I don’t want to screw with putting in new rings and re honing the cylinder. I am planning on fogging it and letting it sit for a few days before I try to start it to hopefully get rid of some of the carbon buildup. Thing should run like new by the time I’m done not to mention you’ll be able to touch it without getting your hand all dirty ;).

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Is this the Sportwin you have?

Or this one …

wyo307
              Participant

Garry The second one is the one I am working on at the moment. Thanks a lot for those diagrams they help a lot. I’m missing a bunch of washers and bushings that I didn’t know about.

wyo307
                Participant

Does anyone have a service manual for this motor that they wouldn’t mind sending my way?

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Once you get it running, some Sea Foam would de-carb that motor for you
                    I ‘ve actuallly had one of those motors. Very nice runners. Enjoy it. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.